Friday, February 8, 2008

Weekend Brews Week 12

It's five o' clock somewhere, and that somewhere is Gainesville, Florida.

That means it is time to pop open a fizzy spirit lifter and start the weekend right.

Now I know the last post was about a Brooklyn beer, but I still had a flavor I wanted to tell you about.


This week let me treat you to a historic beer called,
Brooklyn Pennant Ale '55.

This beer is a tribute of sorts to the storied Brooklyn Dodgers franchise and their 1955 World Series Championship. Now that was before my time, but I do remember my grandfather telling me stories about him taking my dad to Ebbets Field to watch Jackie Robinson play, and man, well that sort of thing can bring a tear to a grown man's eye.

The new Mets stadium which is scheduled to open in 2009 will feature an entrance that is said to be a replica of the old Ebbets Field facade. Man, I cannot wait to see that.

Okay, enough about history, how about the beer?

It's a perfect light copper color often familiar to English-style pale ales, of which this beer is an example. The beer poured with a fluffy head that quickly disappeared into the amber liquid.

The aroma is nothing short of fantastic. The nose is filled with scents of fresh baked bread and warm cereal with a pleasing splash of hop aroma at the end. I picked up a bit more of the hop scent once the liquid hit my lips.

The beer goes down smoothly, filled with toasty malt goodness and a touch of bitterness to round out the flowing ride down my throat. It's a thirst quencher just right for the occasion of a Friday after-work celebration.

I think this beer would be a great match with some chicken pot pie or a hearty Maryland crab cake. I bet the sweetness would blend well with a nice bowl of French onion soup as well. Wow. Now I'm starving. Great.

Well, there you have it folks, another tasty brew to kick off the next few days.

Those of you heading out to St. Augustine for the camping trip this weekend, sorry, I don't have any Brooklyn beers left to share. Bummer. Have no fear, Dave, Mike and the gang are well-stocked with "ancient grain hop juice" for all of us.

See you out at the coast.

Prost!

Overall Score: 3.75 out 5.0

No comments:

Post a Comment