Friday, September 12, 2008

Weekend Brews Report - Week 38 - Tom Discovers BevMo!

Another weekend upon us, and even though I don't start my new job until Wednesday, moving to another coast in a week was work enough for me. I'm officially a resident of California ... my car is registered and my slightly sunburned face is buried deep in the DMV database. Hooray!

Today I discovered something that brought tears to my eyes. Friends, especially those back on the east coast, this evening I had my first trip to a BevMo! What's a BevMo you may ask, well picture a store the size of say a small to medium-sized supermarket, but instead of groceries, it's filled with alcoholic beverages, sodas, mixers, glassware ... pretty much anything and everything you would need to start your weekend in amazing fashion.

Living in Gainesville, Florida for the last six years, I've never seen such a place. Simply put, it's beautiful. They had an extensive selection of craft brewed beers from the US, and many from overseas. To celebrate my arrival, I decided to purchase a highly-recommended beer from the Bear Republic Brewery. The beer is the Red Rocket Ale.

This interesting brew, made from five different grains is a dark red ale that slides into the glass and creates a rootbeer-like thick head. That enticing foam sticks around for awhile, but don't worry, I won't let it stay still for much longer. The aroma is filled with notes of brown sugar and caramel. From the smell I'm expecting sweetness, but I know there's hops hiding deep down in the amber ambrosia.

Mmmmmm ... man, that is a tasty beverage. It has the smoothness, richness and bite of an excellent Scotch ale. I found it funny that the brewery's website said this beer was the choice of mountain bikers and adventurous types. Shit, if I were to drink a few of these and go mountain biking, I think I'd probably wind up tumbling down the side of the damn mountain. ha ha ha.


I'd recommend drinking after a ride personally. Wait a minute ... what the hell am I talking about? I don't even own a bicycle! Sorry, lost my train of thought ... let's get back to the beer.

This is a fantastic strong ale. I doubt I'd ever have more than one, but at 6.8% ABV in a 22oz. bottle, that's about all I need from this beer. It's a solid serving size.

I'm not sure if you can get this out on the east coast, but if you can, give it a try. I'm a big fan of McEwan's Scotch Ale, and I think this beer, while not brewed as a traditional Scotch ale, is a great American counterpart. Go and get it.

Overall Score for the Bear Republic Red Rocket Ale: 4.25 out of 5.0

1 comment:

  1. Not sure how else to contact you, but Brewed For Thought has moved. The new site is www.brewedforthought.com. If ytou could update yourlink, that would be awesome. Thanks for reading.

    ReplyDelete