Friday, September 26, 2008

Weekend Brews - Week 40 - Wet Hops and Fried Ganip Ganops

Happy Friday folks! It's time to celebrate week 40 of the Weekend Brews Report! I know, I know there should be a 40oz to talk about, but ya know, when you go to the beer store and see all the great craft brews staring you in the face, it's very difficult to pick up a bottle of OE.

Sierra Nevada just delivered the fifth release of their Chico Estate Harvest Wet Hop Ale. Hooray! There's something special about a beer brewed with fresh hops right off the vine. It lends itself to a crispness that you don't always get with dried hops.

Capped and bottled in a fat 24oz. brown bottle, the Harvest is calling out to us all ... drink me, drink me!

Okay, okay.

The beer pours a perfect amber color into my Mets glass. That's right, I'm celebrating another end-of-the-season demise of my hometown team. Bums. Anyway, the beer. The aroma is sweet with notes of brown sugar mixed with the smell of fresh cut grass and citrus groves.

The brew goes down easy. There's a healthy dose of bitterness from those wet hops, and little smoother finish then the Sierra Nevada pale ale. This is a great after work beer! ha ha. What beer isn't?!

I'm going to kick back and watch the presidential debate saved on the DVR and drink until I start laughing. This may take awhile. I'd rather watch this:




Stay tuned, as later on tonight I'll be writing about another new seasonal from the land of Scott Gomez and Brandon Dubinsky. I can't wait for that one.

For now, if the Wet Hop Ale is in your store, go grab it! It won't be around for long.

Prost!

Overall Score of the Sierra Nevada Chico Estate Harvest Wet Hop Ale: 4.25 out 5.0

P.S. Anyone who knows the "fried ganip ganops" reference in the title needs to post a comment. I'll even buy you a beer if your in my neighborhood. ha ha.

No comments:

Post a Comment