Friday, April 25, 2008

Weekend Brews - Week 19... Let's Go Rangers!

Happy Friday!

In keeping with last week's theme of beers to celebrate the New York Rangers, this Weekend Brews report comes at you with a tasty beer straight outta Brooklyn, NY.

The Rangers face the Pittsburgh Penguins in game one of the second round of the NHL Stanley Cup playoffs tonight, and I had to get rid of everything Pennsylvania in the house, and bring in the New York goods. We're even grilling up some Papaya King hot dogs! No Heinz ketchup will be made available. Sorry.

So on to the beer...

I'd like to tell you about a favorite of mine called, Brooklyn Brewery's East India Pale Ale. It's a classic style ale made from British pale malts right from East Anglia. Hopped with a combination of Kent Golding, Williamette, Northdown, Centennial and Amarillo. That sounds good already, right?

As you peer into the glass you look through the perfect copper color of a finely crafted IPA that only Garrett Oliver could brew. In a word; beautiful.

The creamy head sits atop an aroma filled with notes of citrus, fresh cut grass and just a hint of alcohol. The glass tips toward my lips and...

... ahhhhhh. Delicious.

A quaint balance of bitterness and sweetness... a crowning achievement for any brewer trying to master the India Pale Ale style.


I have to tell you, every time I drink a beer from Brooklyn Brewery it makes me proud to call that city my birthplace. Hell, any brewery in any town that I live in makes me proud as long as they are doing their best to turn out tasty adult beverages.

So t-minus one hour and counting until the puck drops in Pittsburgh. I can't wait.

My prediction is the New York Rangers win the series in six games. Crosby and Malkin will no doubt be good, but Henrik Lundqvist and the Blueshirts will get shut them down.

Let's Go Rangers!

Overall Score: 4.25 out 5.0

No comments:

Post a Comment