Friday, December 5, 2008

Weekend Brews - Week 50 - Happy Repeal Day! 75 Years and Counting

As I'm sure my fellow beer disciples know, today is the 75th anniversary of the ratification of the 21st Amendment to the United States Constitution. Yes, god bless the 21st, the amendment that bitch-slapped the 18th Amendment and happily ended the evil era of Prohibition. Woo Hoo! Our ability to drink beer brewed by people from our own neighborhoods or from around the world is something that makes this country incredible. I'd like to support my local brewers tonight, and tell you about my visit to a special place ...


I can think of no better place to spend this blessed day then the aptly named 21st Amendment Brewery. Earlier in the week I was bummed to find out I missed the tapping of their new beer, the Beerly Legal Lager. But alas! Working only a stone's throw from the brewery, I quickly learned that they had plenty of that special beer still on tap and ready for a thirsty worker such as myself.

I rolled on over to the brewery to be greeted by a large gathering of people marching through the doorway holding signs that read, "We Want Beer!" and "Repeal Is Here!" One after the other, the gaggle of beer lovers dressed in period garb entered the bar shouting for beer. ha ha ha. Awesome!

The next thing I hear are the bright brass notes being blown by a small band playing some old-timey music to help keep the beer lovers marching straight to the back of the brewery. Brilliant!

With all this commotion and entertainment I almost forgot I had a beer in my hand. Whoa! It's a pint of the Beerly Legal Lager I had craved earlier in the week. Hooray!


The beer was a clear, golden sunshine shade of gorgeous, with a light fizzy head poking out the top of the glass. Aromas of malt and hints of pine from the hops fill the air. I quickly took a gulp and smiled. Flavors of delicious light malt followed by some hoppy bitterness, and a crisp, clean finish are what this beer is all about. Niiiiiiiiice. I could've easily had about 10 of these. Unfortunately I had to drive home. Damnit!


Overall, the Beerly Legal Lager was an easy-drinking golden lager fit for anytime. I'm not sure if this new brew is going to be a regular menu item, so if you're in the Bay Area, get some now just in case it disappears.

You can purchase some of the other canned goodness from 21st Amendment Brewery around the Bay Area and beyond, but if you live around here, or if you visit, it's worth your time to stop by and try everything on the menu.
Happy Repeal Day everyone!

Cheers!

Overall Score of the Beerly Legal Lager: 3.75 out 5.0

P.S. Check out Chipper Dave's thoughtful insight on the glory of the 21st Amendment.

I hoist a pint in your direction good sir!

1 comment:

  1. Nice event! Looks like you picked the perfect place to celebrate Repeal Day. I'll have to come out that way again some day and visit the 21st Amendment Brewery. Thx for the link too!

    ReplyDelete