Friday, December 14, 2007

Weekend Brews - Week Six -Beel Two

It's time for beer number two on this fine Friday.

As the Peanuts sang in that most memorable television special... "Christmastime is here, happiness and cheer..." I'm pretty sure that last word was supposed to be beer, but all the damn kids watching probably had their parents protesting or something. Geez.

Stupid kids.

So what is all this about? What the hell is the beer?

Okay, here it is... Wychwood's Bah Humbug! Christmas Ale.

It fits nicely in my new Hobgoblin glass I received in the holiday gift exchange. Beauty. The beer boasts a beautiful copper and cherry wood appearance with a quickly vanishing head.

At first sniff it smells a slight bit sour, but then for some reason follows with a sweet aroma of dried dark cherries. It has that dark chocolate covered cherry quality to it.

This is one smooth mofo. It's almost as if this beer was brewed to be an after dinner cordial. A sweet, sweet post meal treat. Hey, wait a minute... I just finished my dinner and now I'M drinking it. Wow. Sometimes things really work out.

I will admit that when I first saw this beer with Ebenezer Scrooge on the label I thought it would be as bitter as a Cubs fan after Game 6 of the 2003 NLCS. Not so. Just as the Dickensian tale unfolds so doth this beverage.. It's not a sour old pickle, but rather a luscious liquid desert.

This beer comes as a single and so it should be. This is not a beer you would want to drink more than one of in a sitting. I think it is a delightful change-up though if you spend most of your time drinking bitter ales like I do.

Overall score: 3.75 out 5.0

3 comments:

  1. Mmmmmm, more cherry beer please.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmm, more cherry beer please.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was reviewed on my Beer-A-Day calendar today and I gotta say your review is much better.

    Two more days until beer drinking resumes...

    ReplyDelete