Monday, December 31, 2007

Xmas in New York and New Year's Eve in Gainesville

Well I missed yet another Weekend Beelz report due to running around from place to place in Long Island. Oh well.

My trip to New York was fantastic and filled with trips to Blue Point Brewery, Brick House Brewery and Restaurant, and my local beer distributor for other tasty treats. I even got to sip some suds at Madison Square Garden with my sister while watching my beloved Rangers beat up on the Carolina Hurricanes. Awesome.

Unfortunately I did not get to spend as much time at the breweries as last year, but I did have the chance to sample the luscious Oatmeal Stout at Blue Point and it may just be the best damn Oatmeal Stout I've ever had the pleasure of drinking. I couldn't find it anywhere other than at the brewery, and they did not have six packs to go for that flavor. Bummer. So all I can tell you is that if you are on Long Island or in the New York Metro area, seek out that beauty from Blue Point. It's worth the search.

I also had the chance to drink their Imperial I.P.A. This beer, known as "No Excuses" was a beast. It came in at 10.2 % ABV, and came correct with a wallop of hops and a sweet full flavor that made me sure I only needed one. They charge a hefty $7.00 US for a pint, but it was well worth it.

I have a special place in my heart for Blue Point Brewery, not only because of Long Island pride, but they consistently produce some of the best ales and lagers I've ever had. Between Blue Point and Brooklyn Brewery, I think it is safe to say that the New York Metro area can go toe-to-toe with any other brewing region in terms of flavorful beelz.


I also made a stop in at the Brick House Brewery & Restaurant in Patchogue, NY, just a short drive from Blue Point.

I just had my fill at the other watering hole, so I only sampled one beer from Brick House. It was their Rye Pale Ale. It wasn't as tasty as the Terrapin Rye Pale Ale from Athens, GA, but it was a fine beer just as well. A nice dry finish from the Rye malt, with a nice kiss of hops made it a pleasant follow-up to the heavy hitters over at Blue Point.

All in all, my trip to the breweries was a success. I had the chance to spend some time with my sister again, and enjoy some of the fruits of the hardworking brewers on Long Island.

In fact, one of my last nights in New York was spent enjoying a case of Toasted Lager and a case of Hoptical Illusion, both from the Blue Point Brewery with some old friends. The two cases ran a bill of $71.00, but there wasn't an unsatisfied customer in the house.

So now it's New Year's Eve. God only knows what's in store. Well until next time...

I wish you all a Happy New Year and Happy New Beelz for 2008!

Prost!

No comments:

Post a Comment