Saturday, January 17, 2009

A Trip to the Hop Yard with Deschutes Brewery

I hope your weekend has been filled with delicious beer so far. I just sampled a fine seasonal offering from Deschutes Brewery I thought you should know about. It's the Hop Trip fresh hop pale ale from the brewery's Bond Street Series. Hooray for hops!

As the bottle explains, this beer celebrates the Fall hop harvest. One brewer gets the kettle going in Bend, Oregon, "as another rushes back from the Willamette Valley," with a truckload of hops. Man, I wish I had a truckload of hops. Talk about a perfect way to stuff your mattress!

So, to the beer ...

It features a sunset-like amber color with a super-soft and creamy head. The hypnotizing hop aroma gives off scents of citrus groves and fresh cut grass. This beer is screaming, "drink me now!" So I shall.


The first gulp offers a blast of heavenly hop goodness as the bite comes quick and settles into a smooth and malty finish. The texture of this beer almost reminds me of a Boddington's Pub Draft. Weird. The malt gives off an amazing flavor of rich brown sugar-coated sweet rolls fresh out of the oven. I'm not talking over-the-top sweetness, as I normally don't like that sort of thing, rahter this sugary vibe I speak of is perfectly balanced by the bittering hops. In a word, this beer is superb.

The Deschutes Brewery is quickly becoming one of my favorites. I can't say I've had a single beer from them that I didn't like. One of these days I need to take a trip up to Oregon and say hello.

Well, that's it for now. If you can get your hands on a bottle of Deschutes Brewery's Hop Trip, I highly recommend it.

Prost!



Overall Score of the Deschutes Brewery Hop Trip Fresh Hop Ale: 4.5 out 5.0

No comments:

Post a Comment