Friday, January 30, 2009

Weekend Brews - Week 57 - Stone Cali-Belgie IPA ... Say What?

Happy Friday! It's time for another Weekend Brews Report, and because I'm packing for my move to Oakland tomorrow, I'll make this quick. I've got a great weekend beer to tell you about and it is called the Cali-Belgie IPA from Stone Brewing Company.

What the hell is it?

Well, the Cali-Belgie IPA is essentially the Stone IPA brewed with a special Belgian yeast strain. Now that sounds like an interesting beer to me. Before I go further, let me apologize for the lack of photos. The camera got packed in a box by mistake, so I'll have to upload some images after the move. Sorry! The logo above is from stonebrew.com. Okay, let's get to it.

It pours a light copper color into the glass and creates a light and fizzy head that disappears quickly. Aromas of clove, nutmeg and coriander are plentiful in the nose. The yeast has certainly added the classic spicy notes often found in Belgian beers. What could it possibly taste like? Well, why don't we drink this sumbitch?

Ahhhhhhh. The Cali-Belgie IPA is a crisp and refreshing beverage with some smooth malt character followed up by a nice bite of bitterness from the hops. Upon the second sip as the beer warms up, there's more sweetness followed by the taste of black pepper. Very nice. This beer is most definitely more complex than their standard IPA. I dig this beer in a big way.

It looks like this beer is going to be a limited release, year-round addition to the Stone Brewing line up, but you should go out and grab some now just in case they change their minds.

Happy drinking y'all. Enjoy the big game on Sunday.

Go Cards!

Cheers.

Overall Score of the Stone Brewing Company Cali-Belgie IPA: 4.0 out 5.0

No comments:

Post a Comment