Friday, May 23, 2008

Weekend Brews - Week 23 - Baseball Weekend Begins!

There's nothing like that feeling of being done with work when you're heading into a 3-day weekend. Everyone with me now... take a deep breath... exhale... ahhhhhhhhhhh.

This weekend marks our annual trip down to see some Tampa Bay Rays baseball, and tailgate with some great food, and cold beer. I get to watch my Orioles try and beat down the Rays. It should be an outstanding series seeing as these two teams are playing great baseball right now. Okay, okay, sorry... the beer. Right.

I meant to write about this tasty beverage in last week's Weekend Brews report, but had to run out to a party and sample some other beers instead. I have a tough life. This week, it's another Belgian-style brew from the Sunshine State. The Saint Somewhere Brewing Company is making a name for itself in the world of the beer geek, and now I know why.

This week I'd like to tell you about Lectio Divina. The name is Latin and refers to something about a divine reading, spiritual reading, or other such god stuff. Here's a wikipedia reference.
Simply put, it's an amber ale that looks delicious.

It pours a dark amber color into the glass, and features a good amount of carbonation and light head. The head doesn't stick around for too long, but the bubbles keep on going and going... The Lectio Devina has a spicy aroma... it almost smells a little like a fresh baked holiday spice cookie... cloves in front, banana in back, followed by overtones of alcohol. Interesting. It almost reminds me a bit of Ommegang's Rare Vos.

Coming in at 8.0% ABV, this beer packs a punch. However, just as many other tasty Belgian-style beers before it, the flavor remains smooth. There's a subtle sweetness from the thin creamy foam that refuses to leave. I know I said the head disappeared quickly, and it did, but there is this tasty layer of creamy foam that just sits around the edges of the glass creating a unique mouthfeel when it combines with the tiny bubbles.

This is a tasty beverage.

Oh man, it's a beautiful Friday my friends. I hope you all have a good beer to enjoy today. This Saint Somewhere brew is a perfect start to my weekend. I can't wait to watch some baseball down in Tampa, but right now, I'm happy to be enjoying this well-crafted ale.

If you don't have a great beer in your hands, I implore you to go out and get one. It's a holiday weekend!

I know Memorial Day weekend is marketed as the start of Summer, the time to fire up the grill and party, gather with friends... and in a way it is. The name, "Memorial Day" has a bit more meaning than that though.

I don't mean to be a bummer, but take a second to remember all those men and women who have lost their lives fighting for our country. Look... I'm no nationalist, but I'm pretty sure I understand the importance of sacrifice, and so I hoist my glass in their honor.

Cheers to you all.

Overall Score for the Saint Somewhere Brewing Co.'s Lectio Divina: 4.0 out of 5.0

1 comment:

  1. Between the beer review, this upcoming weekend and the sexy japanimation...I'm feeling a little antsy in my pantsy.

    Woohoo!

    ReplyDelete